Friday, January 8, 2010

Peer Demo

A lot of software practices make sense when described. Source control, automated tests, automated build server, etc. Even the most obvious practices become crystal clear the moment they have a real impact on your development. That automated test that caught the bug as soon as you created it. The automated build that notified you of an old test that is now failing because of a new bug. A massive refactoring that turns out to be fruitless, easily reverted with some easy source control commands. An old diff helping you regain context of why you (or someone else) made a particular change.

Recently I had the revelation with simple peer review. Not even peer review of code, but the simple practice of demoing your finished code to a peer. Before going in to this recent demo, I fully understood the benefits of such practice, but it transformed a neat idea to a must do.

Now, like most developers, I am very obsessive about my code. I do everything I can to make sure it is polished and perfect when it is time to deploy. I try to write as many reasonable unit tests as I can. I constantly exercise my code, both with test driven development and with actually looking at the visible output to make sure it is doing what I expect. With all my obsessing over my code, I tend to finish with a fairly confident feeling that it is ready for production. Don't misunderstand my meaning to think that I feel my code is perfect, or even necessarily good, and most definitely not bug free, but I take pride in my craft and try to call it done when I really think it is done.

There is a big problem though... like every other developer, I am human. I don't anticipate a certain kind of error condition. I forget to check a particular path in the code. I over complicate the solution and miss a way to make the UI a lot simpler and easier to use. Ultimately, I am left with a couple bugs that I just couldn't quite run across.

For one, several, or all of the above reasons, I end up with a demo that makes blatantly clear a few key mistakes that I made. This happened with my most recent demo. Together, the reviewer and I filed quite a few bugs in our issue tracking software that I needed to resolve. Not all were directly caused by me and my code... some were issues that dated back quite a while... but quite a few of them were most definitely because I hadn't exercised the code quite as thoroughly as I had thought.

The key thing I take away from this reminds me of Jeff Atwood's post on not going dark. I'm not afraid to share my code as I develop it. In fact, I enjoy showing off a small snippet or clever bug fix I just wrote that I feel does something neat. I similarly like to see when other developers finish something they feel proud of. However, I still end up writing my feature in relative darkness. The demo is like shining a flashlight in the corners that I didn't get to. By having another person walk through your code, or even just the simple act of showing that it works, you will often end up seeing a different perspective that you never thought of while you were working. Sometimes you run across code that had been manually tested, but changed since the tests and is now broken. Whatever the case, you will inevitably run across something that could be improved upon that you didn't quite catch.

It doesn't even have to be a bug, necessarily. For example, in the demo, we decided that the action we were exposing to the user could benefit from being run multiple times, sometimes. So, we made an easy to access link that allows you to retry the action when you want to, which saved the user from the need to search a table for the same row to run the action again. This was a missing feature in the original spec, not exactly a bug. Nevertheless, the demo made this change an obvious need. Perhaps it is the halfway point between just deploying new code, and dogfooding your code. In the absence of being able to dogfood your code, a simple demo of all new features will expose a good chunk of what you would have been able to find through dogfooding.

So before you deploy that new feature... grab a friend and just demo it to them. Even if you don't find a single issue, at least you will be more confident that your code is ready.

1 comment:

UnoGeeks said...

Thanks for the article. Very Informative.
UnoGeeks Offers the best Oracle Fusion Financials Training in the market today.
oracle Fuison Financials Training